Essential Question

Essential Question: What is most important to rehabilitating a skier or snowboarder after a traumatic injury?

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Blog 5: Project Reflection and Working EQ

The Pentagon: 
(1) Positive Statement: What positive thing happen as a result of what you have completed so far?
As of right now, I have expanded my basic anatomy knowledge to where I will become an OEC Technician which will help me when I run calls this season. I have learned things like how to take a primary and secondary assessment using mnemonics and acronyms which will help me remember everything I need to in the field. 
(2) EQ Content:  Pick a piece of research or your interview.  How has it helped you improve your understanding of your topic?
The book I am reading now: Clinical Anatomy for Dummies by David Tefera and Shereen Jegtvig has helped me expand my knowledge of the medical side of ski patrol. Specific examples of where Clinical Anatomy for Dummies has gone into significant detail is when it talks about a specific section of the body like the abdomen and it list all the arteries, veins, and blood vessels in that area and tells you what each one does. Even though I have been taking the OEC class this book goes into more detail about all the systems that my OEC class didn't cover. My OEC Class talks about the arteries, veins, and blood vessels that are in a particualr part of the body but they don't mention what they do and how they help the body function as a whole. This helps me in the long run because I know how the body works and where everything or what system the organs are. 
(3) What has worked for you so far in the senior project?
My summer mentorship has worked out pretty good because I learned some new stuff that I can apply to for this upcoming season. Also, I'm taking an Outdoor Emergency Care(OEC) class which will help me for this season because it has taught me all the basic outdoor first aid things I need to know. Even though I'm still considered a minor, my mentor might allow me to go on calls and assist the patrollers more, once I become an OEC Technician. 

This is my book for my OEC Class that I'm required to read. This book has helped me learn new acronyms and mnemonics for remembering things like assessing patients and remembering how to use certain medical supplies. 

(4) What hasn't worked so far?  
Finding research is a little tough because there isn't anything specifically on ski patrol. The closest thing I get to ski patrol is books for National Ski Patrol classes that are similar to college textbooks. The best thing I can do is look for medical books because ski patrol is basically a nurse on skis minus the facilities that nurses have access to. 


This is the book that has expanded my knowledge on all of the different systems in the body that all work together to keep the body alive and functioning.

(5) Finding Value:  


  •  What is a potential question you would like to study this year?  (working EQ)
    • What are the top three things to know on the medical side of ski patrol? 
  •  What do you plan to do for mentorship?  If you haven't found a mentor yet, then discuss where you are currently looking and who you are talking to to find it.  
    • I plan on working along side with Mt. Baldy Ski Patrol and learning as much as I can throughout the ski season. I'm also looking into doing an explorers program with the fire department or through an Emergency Medical Technician(EMT) program. 

No comments:

Post a Comment