Essential Question

Essential Question: What is most important to rehabilitating a skier or snowboarder after a traumatic injury?

Friday, March 21, 2014

What's Been Going on in March?

This month I have been working on mentorship, independent component 2, and some new research for research checks.
I went to mentorship the day after we got the big storm of the season. Due to the wind there wasn't enough snow to ski or snowboard on so they didn't open the ski area but they opened snow tubing, the restaurant and scenic rides. When I went up to mentorship, I just shoveled snow, slush, and ice for 3 hours. It wasn't very fun but it was a good work out. When I took my lunch break I ate lunch in the patrol room and there was a safety seminar going on with a patroller from another mountain. I listened in as I was eating my lunch. I found it interesting and I actually learned how to check if your helmet is effective or not. In order to make sure your helmet is effective, you have to push on either side with the same amount of force applied to each side. If you see cracks  that's how you know it is defective. I plan on working on my independend component this weekend.
 Riding up the lift to mentorship.
Stormy ride up to mentorship.
After the big storm at mentorship.
 Next, I've been working on my independent component 2. I finished up the third unit at the beginning of this month. Unit 3 was all about the skeletal system. When I was working on this unit I watched videos on the vertebral column, the thorax, and the skull. I also watched lectures on the basics of the skeletal system and the bones of the lower extremities and the foot. I finished up unit 3 by reading a bit in the Gray's Anatomy book which was on the skeletal system. I finished up the lecture videos and read up on the different parts of the bone.
Finally, this month I have been looking at a new book. This new book is called Nurse to Nurse Trauma Care by Donna Nayduch. This book covers everything about trauma patients and rehabilitating them, so it's a good book for my essential question. So far I have looked at the basics of trauma which includes Mechanism of Injury(MOI) and head injuries. I plan on reading this entire book. I also plan on doing extra research checks with my Outdoor Emergency Care book this weekend.



New book I have been using for research checks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment