Essential Question

Essential Question: What is most important to rehabilitating a skier or snowboarder after a traumatic injury?

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Blog 19: Independent Component 2

Due Date:  Friday 4/25 by 8AM


Content:  

LITERAL
(a) Statement saying: “I, student name, affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 30 hours of work.”
I, Jackie Boyd, affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 30 hours of work.
(b) Cite your source regarding who or what article or book helped you complete the independent component
For my independent component, I took an online anatomy course. There were a variety of sources included in completing this course. First of all, all of the lectures I watched, I was listening to Professor Marian Diamond of UC Berkeley. Also, there were a lot of readings in the Gray's Anatomy book by Henry Gray. There were also side readings by John Kimball and Michael Farabee. All of these sources helped me out with the course because I wouldn't have been able to follow along in the course and expand my knowledge without the combination of all four sources. 
(c) Provide a digital spreadsheet (aka log of the 30 hours).   Post it next to your mentorship log.
Look at blog under mentorship. Its called Independent Component 2 Log. 
(d) Explanation of what you completed.    
I completed this anatomy class which was 126 hours of work.  Every weekend I would sit down and try and complete one unit, sometimes I did more or less.  I watched all of the lectures and took notes on the lectures. All of the lectures were done by UC Berkeley Professor Marian Diamond, she was very knowledgable in the concepts of anatomy. Throughout the twelve different units, there were different readings, interactive labs, and assessments. For the readings, they were all online and for the most part it was mainly reading from the Gray's Anatomy book. There was also readings by John Kimball and Michael Farabee spread throughout the units. All of these readings were based off the lectures from Marian Diamond, so they went hand in hand with each other where if I didn't understand something the professor said I would read it later on in depth and I could see it clearly. The interactive labs were the visuals of the class. These were like worksheets, if it wasn't an online class. These labs for the most part were labeling exercises. This really painted a picture in my mind of what I had learned throughout the units. Finally, the assessments were there to check to see how much you learned throughout each unit. These assessments were all 40 questions long, and were helpful because I got to see how much I took away from each unit. 

INTERPRETIVE 
Defend your work and explain how the significant parts of your component and how it demonstrates 30 hours of work.   Provide evidence (photos, transcript, art work, videos, etc) of the 30 hours of work.  
The most significant part of my independent component was actually participating in this online course. This online course was very hard for me to commit myself every weekend to sit down and go through the motions especially because it was an online course where it's very easy to procrastinate. I learned a lot of valuable information through this course that will help me with patrolling, because understanding the anatomy of the human body can help you with identifying internal injuries better and even external injuries. Knowing the technical terms of the bones and body makes you look better as a patroller and you will get more respect as a more knowledgable person. Every weekend I sat down and went through the motions of this online class, where I learned various medical terms and anatomy of the human body, and learned about the different systems throughout the human body and how they work to help me get those 30 hours(which I exceeded) to complete my first independent component. 
Notes that I took in my notebook. 

More notes. All of my notes have the same format. 

More notes. 


Interactive lab where I had to label the different bones of the body.





Interactive lab where I had to label the different bones of the body.

Interactive lab where I had to label the different bones of the body.

Quiz from unit 5.

Quiz from unit 6. 


APPLIED
How did the component help you answer your EQ? Please include specific examples to illustrate how it helped. 
This component helped me answer my essential question by building on the foundation of patient assessments because when you understand the human body's anatomy you can do your assessments much faster and more accurate and it will come more natural to you. For example, before I took this anatomy class I didn't know many technical terms throughout the human body. Now I can say oh this person has a fractured clavicle and I know that is the person has a fractured collarbone. This helps with patient assessments because I won't struggle for the technical terms of the human bones. Also, if there's a patient with an internal injury, I will now have a better understanding of what it possibly could be. 


















No comments:

Post a Comment