Essential Question

Essential Question: What is most important to rehabilitating a skier or snowboarder after a traumatic injury?

Monday, April 14, 2014

Fun Day at Mentorship

I have officially finished my mentorship hours. Today I went up and finished up my hours. Since there is no snow, I just helped out with anything my mentor wanted me too. One of the lift operators is taking an Emergency Medical Response(EMR) class, and so my mentor had me show him how some of the medical supplies work. First, I showed him how to apply oxygen to a patient using different masks. Next, I showed him the Hare and Sager splints which are used to splint femur fractures. Then, I showed him different types of c-collars. Every c-collar is different in the aspect of adjusting them. I let him put the c-collar on me to get some hands on practice. Next, I showed him the different types of headbeds and how they work. Headbeds are used to secure a patient's head to a backboard.
This is an oxygen tank with the tank valve on. 

This is a Hare splint used for a femur fracture. You pull on their ankle with the device until they feel relief on the femur. 

This is a Sager splint used for splinting femurs. You pull on 10% of the person's body weight but no more than 15 pounds on the person's ankle so they can feel relief on their femur. 

This is a c-collar used for immobilizing the neck. 

This is a headbed used for immobilizing a patient's head to a backboard. 
After we were done messing with all of the medical supplies, I helped take apart the chairs from the ski lift. Every year, the ski resort has to maintain 10% of their chairs. I took off the cotter pins from the chairs with pliers. Next, I took off the part that connects to the chair off which is called the chair hanger . I did this by using a wrench to unscrew a bolt and then I took the pin out with all of the washers.
These are the chairs I dismantled. 

This is me taking out the cotter pin with pliers.
The cotter pin I took out. 

All of the parts I took off the chairs which include chair hangers, washers, bolt, and pins. 
The after result of the chair hanger coming off. 
Once I finished taking the parts off the chairs I cleaned up because it was a very greasy job. I helped unload and load people on to the chairs. I got to learn the different controls for the ski lift. like which buttons stop and start the chair and which buttons speed up the chair. Today was a really fun day at mentorship. I increased my knowledge tremendously.

Pretty view from top of chair 1. 


Looking down from the top of chair 1. 

Baldy bowl. 

Another picture of Baldy bowl. 

























No comments:

Post a Comment