Essential Question

Essential Question: What is most important to rehabilitating a skier or snowboarder after a traumatic injury?

Monday, April 28, 2014

Blog 20: Exit Interview

Content:

(1) What is your essential question and answers?  What is your best answer and why?
My essential question is: What is most important to rehabilitating a skier or snowboarder after a traumatic injury?
My three answers are: 
1. In order to rehabilitate a patient after a traumatic skiing or snowboarding injury, the first hand responder needs to make sure they do a thorough initial assessment and management. 
2. In order to rehabilitate a patient after a traumatic skiing or snowboarding injury, the first hand responder needs to make sure they know the Mechanism of Injury(MOI) or Nature of Illness(NOI). 
3.In order to rehabilitate a patient the first hand responder needs to triage the patients correctly.  
My best answer is:  In order to rehabilitate a patient after a traumatic skiing or snowboarding injury, the first hand responder needs to make sure they know the Mechanism of Injury(MOI) or Nature of Illness(NOI) because when I interviewed Kelly Wolff of Loma Linda Medical Center, she stated that if you don't know the MOI or NOI you can't paint a clear picture of what actually happened and you can't give a detailed hand off report to a higher level of care. 
(2) What process did you take to arrive at this answer?
I first heard of MOIs and NOIs in my Outdoor Emergency Care class and I thought it was a key point in medical treatment. I thought it was interesting, and I began to research it more in my research checks. As I did my third and fourth interviews, MOIs and NOIs began to pop uo more and more. When I did my third interview with Kelly Wolff of Loma Linda Medical Center, she kept talking about recognizing the MOI or NOI so this is where I generated my answer from. I also asked my mentor, David Mix of Mt. Baldy Ski Lifts Incorporated about MOIs and NOIs during my fourth interview and he agreed it is a vital step in rehabilitation. 
(3) What problems did you face?  How did you resolve them?
I struggled with coming up with answers to my essential question. I resolved this issue by writing down potential answers to my essential question then I decided if they were good enough or not. I also had issues with coming up with questions to ask for my third and fourth interviews which I thought was vital in getting potential answers to my essential question. I resolved this by asking questions that went in depth about my essential question and everything that went along with my essential question like MOIs and NOIs. 
(4) What are the two most significant sources you used to answer your essential question and why?
Outdoor Emergency Care: 5th Edition by Edward C. McNamara was a significant source for me because it was what got me started on my journey of my senior project. This book went along with my class and both of these generated a bunch of topics to research and look into. Another significant source for me was Nurse to Nurse Trauma by Donna Nayduch because this went into depth about a bunch of different injuries and what steps to take in determining the MOI or NOI. It also gave symptoms to look for which helps with determining the NOI. 

Be prepared with evidence and specific examples to support any response.  It is also significant to cite sources as you explain.

No comments:

Post a Comment